Each year, thousands of Tennessee drivers are involved in auto accidents. Unfortunately, many of these crashes are hit-and-run accidents. A hit-and-run accident is considered to be any accident where a motorist hits another vehicle and then leaves the scene without identifying themselves. Tennessee law requires drivers involved in vehicle crashes that result in injury or death to stop at the accident scene. While the law requires drivers to stop after an accident, many motorists disregard this law.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 11 percent of all motor vehicle collisions in the United States are hit-and-run- accidents. While these accidents can be difficult for attorneys to handle, accident victims should not fret. Tennessee accidents may be eligible to receive compensation for their losses, if they have uninsured motorist coverage.
If you have been involved in a hit-and-run accident, contact an experienced car accident lawyer today. A lawyer that is well-versed in Tennessee traffic laws will be able to advise you on the best course of action to pursue.
For additional information about the legal rights available to hit-and-run accident victims, fill out the Free Case Review form on this page.
Common Causes of Hit-and-Run Accidents
When a hit-and-run driver flees a crash scene they will do whatever it takes to avoid accepting responsibility for the crash. There are several reasons why a Tennessee driver might leave an accident scene. Some common reasons why a motorist might leave the scene of an accident include:
- The driver hit a pedestrian or bicyclist.
- The motorist is in trouble with the law.
- The driver may not have a valid Tennessee drivers license.
- The motorist is uninsured.
- The driver may be an illegal alien.
- The driver was inebriated or under the influence at the time of the crash.
If you were injured in a hit-and-run accident, its imperative to seek legal counsel immediately.
To schedule a free and confidential case evaluation regarding your hit-and-run crash, complete the contact form on this page.
What to Do if You Are in a Hit-and-Run Crash
Hit-and-run accidents can leave accidents victims feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Its important for accident victims to take the steps listed below after a hit-and-run crash:
- Write down any information that you can recall about the driver and the vehicle including, the make and model of the car, the license plate number and a description of the driver.
- Do not proceed to chase the hit-and-run driver.
- Provide law enforcement with any details about the accident that you can remember.
- Seek medical treatment, if you or any of your passengers have been hurt.
- Use your cellular phone to take pictures of your car and the crash scene.
- Contact a knowledgeable Tennessee auto accident attorney.
Sometimes law enforcement is able to locate the hit-and-run driver and charge them with leaving the accident. In these cases, a car accident lawyer may be able to help you recover your losses from the negligent driver. Even if the police cannot find the driver, its imperative to follow these steps. These steps will help your hit-and-run accident attorney build the strongest case for your insurance claim.
Contact a Tennessee Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer
If you have sustained an injury or property damage in a Tennessee hit-and-run accident, you may be entitled to financial recourse. Contact the car accident attorneys at Greg Coleman Law to explore your legal options.
A personal injury lawyer from Greg Coleman Law is available to assist accident victims in the greater Knoxville area.
To schedule a free case evaluation, fill out the contact form on this page.