Truck Insurance FAQ

Truck Insurance FAQ

Motorists in Tennessee are required to have liability insurance and meet state minimums in order to drive a motor vehicle, including those driving trucks. Everyday trucks such as pick-ups and larger heavy duty pick-ups must have this type of insurance. Commercial truck drivers on the other hand have to have additional truck insurance and oftentimes their cargo must also be insured.

When it comes to commercial trucks, understanding the insurance practices can be difficult especially if you have been involved in an accident with a large truck.

In Tennessee, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), between of 2000 - 2010 there were more than 110 fatal truck collisions in Tennessee. In 2008 the Tennessee Department of Homeland Security revealed that there were more than 9,800 large truck accidents reported in the state.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a large truck accident due to another drivers negligence, the victim may be entitled to compensation from property damage, medical expenses, lost wages, and more.

Fill out the FREE CASE REVIEW form to your right for a no-cost, no-obligation review of your truck accident claim its completely confidential.

Truck Insurance FAQ

Understanding truck drivers insurance is helpful for commercial truck drivers and motorists who could someday be involved in a collision with one of these large vehicles.

The following are a few frequently asked questions related to truck insurance.

What is the minimum coverage?
According to the FMCSA truck drivers must have $750,000 in primary liability coverage if transporting non-hazardous materials. If a driver is hauling oil, hazardous waste or other hazardous materials they may be required to carry a $1 million policy. Cargo may also need to be insured.

What is Primary Liability Coverage?
Primary liability coverage is required by the FMCSA and is for public protection. This covers property damage and bodily injuries caused by a truck during interstate commerce.

What is Secondary Liability Coverage?
This type of coverage is required by your motor carrier and covers the truck driver while they are under permanent contract with them.

Can More Than One Person Be Held Liable?
Yes. In truck accident cases a truck driver, the trucking company, the owner of the truck, the truck manufacturer, and even the truck loader may be held liable for their negligence.

What Is Non-Truck Liability Insurance?
Voluntary insurance that covers a truck driver who may have causes property damage or bodily injury while not under dispatch. This is similar to bobtail insurance which protects a tractor that does not have an attached trailer at the time of the incident.

What is Physical Damage Coverage?
Another type of voluntary coverage, this can help truck drivers keep their truck protected for theft, fire, flood, etc. For many their truck is their livelihood, this coverage can help ensure that such situations will not interfere too much with their work.

There are also differences between interstate and intrastate truck liability which could help determine who will be held responsible for a truck collision.

Contact our Powell Truck Accident Attorneys

Each day hundreds of truck drivers take to the roads to deliver goods and drive alongside motorists, all persons assuming that each driver will practice due diligence. Unfortunately, accidents happen and when they occur with large commercial trucks the results can be devastating. If you or a loved one is seeking legal counsel after being injured in a large truck accident, our attorneys can help.

With more than 40 years of combined legal experience, the attorneys at Greg Coleman Law attorneys are well-versed in truck insurance claims. We can help you determine if you have a case, and if so, help guide you through the entire litigation process. We are committed to representing accident injury victims including those harmed in a commercial truck accident.

Our main office is in Knoxville, Tennessee and we proudly serve the surrounding areas, including:

  • Powell
  • Strawberry Plains
  • Oak Ridge
  • Alcoa
  • Maryville

and many more surrounding towns and cities. To find out how we may be able to help with your claim, contact us at (865) 247-0080. We offer 100% FREE initial case consultations which means we will review your claim at no charge and help you determine if you have the grounds for a lawsuit.

You can also submit your information online by filling out FREE CASE REVIEW form at the top right-hand corner of this page its FREE to submit and your information will remain confidential.