Halloween is a fun night for kids of all ages. Amidst the excitement of costumes and gatherings, our Knoxville personal injury attorneys urge parents to make safety a priority this year. Review these Halloween safety tips with your children before turning them loose to trick-or-treat.
Creating a Safe Costume
- Costumes should always fit children properly. Costumes which are too long or bulky can cause falls and restrict your childs movement.
- Choose costumes made from flame retardant materials.
- If a mask is part of your childs costume, make sure it does not restrict their vision. Consider using face paint if masks cannot be seen through well.
- Choose light, bright colors for costumes when possible. Add reflective tape to your childs costume and accessories, or have your child wear glow sticks. This will help make your child more visible to motorists as they trick-or-treat.
- Children ages 12 and younger should always be supervised by an adult while trick-or-treating. Advise older children to stay in groups if they will not be going with an adult, and establish what time they must return home.
- Plan a safe trick-or-treating route ahead of time. Choose well-lit neighborhoods with sidewalks when possible. Review the route with your children before leaving home.
- Instruct children to stay on sidewalks. If no sidewalk is available, children should walk along the roads left side while facing traffic.
- Instruct children to only cross at street corners, and look left-right-left before crossing. Children should always walk and not run while crossing streets.
- Instruct children to never go inside a home or garage while trick-or-treating, and to only visit well-lit houses.
- Instruct children not to eat any treats until they have been inspected by a parent.
Greg Coleman Law is committed to keeping Knoxville families safe. Our personal injury attorneys possess the knowledge, experience, and compassion needed to assist you in your pursuit of justice; contact us today at (865) 247-0080 to discuss your claim.
Fill out our case evaluation form for a free consultation today.