First Tennessee Plaza, 800 S. Gay Street, Suite 1100, Knoxville, TN 37929

Spinal Cord Injuries

Severe Back PainA spinal cord injury can be defined as any damage to the spinal cord that causes the loss of sensation or motor control. The severity of the injury usually depends on where the damage occurred. When a spinal injury results from an accident that was caused by the actions or negligence of another, we believe that you deserve both compassion and compensation for your condition.

Spinal Cord Injury Statistics

Every year, an average of 11,000 people suffer from a spinal cord injury. About 52 percent of these injuries result in paraplegia. Another 45 percent result in quadriplegia.

Additionally, 45 percent of all spinal cord injuries are complete injuries. This means that there is a total loss of function and sensation below the affected vertebrae. The other 55 percent of spinal cord injuries are classified as incomplete, meaning that there is some level of partial loss of function and sensation.

Spinal cord injuries are commonly a result of auto accidents, motorcycle crashes, slip and fall accidents and sadly, intentionally acts of violence. If you suffered a spinal cord injury due to the deliberate actions of another, you may be able to pursue punitive damages and should speak to an attorney right away.

Types of Spinal Cord Injuries

Annually, Americans spend a minimum of $50 billion on back injury problems. Most spinal cord injuries occur in the uppermost seven vertebrae of the neck (the cervical region) or in the five largest and strongest vertebrae in the lower back (the lumbar region).

Some of the most common types of spinal cord injuries include:

  • Herniated disc
  • Crushed vertebrae
  • Torn ligaments
  • Fractured Spine

Contact an Experienced Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer

Tragically, researchers estimate that less than one percent of spinal cord injury victims will ever make a full recovery in their lifetime. These types of injuries often require extensive medical treatment and many spinal cord injury victims lose their jobs because of it.

At Greg Coleman Law, we are dedicated to fighting for the rights of spinal cord injury victims who suffered harm through the actions or negligence of another. Our team of legal professionals has the both the knowledge and the expertise necessary to successfully litigate a spinal cord injury claim.

In an effort to ensure that every injury victim in Knoxville is able to afford access to top legal counsel, we operate on a contingency fee basis. This means that if you decide to hire our law firm to pursue compensation for your losses, there is never any cost to you until we obtain a favorable outcome for your claim, whether by a jury verdict or through a settlement with the other parties involved. If we lose the lawsuit, you dont owe our firm any fees.

Additionally, we offer free case evaluations to anyone who believes that they may have cause to file a spinal cord injury lawsuit. During an evaluation, one of our lawyers will assess the merits of your claim and offer guidance on how to best pursue legal recourse for your losses.


For more information on the legal rights which may be available to spinal cord injury victims and their families or to schedule a confidential, no-obligation consultation with a member of our team of legal professionals, please complete the Free Case Review form on this page.

back to top