Why Driving With A Pet Can Be Dangerous
Posted on behalf of Greg Coleman Law on Jan 27, 2015 in Auto Accident
People love driving with their pets, but there are proper ways and then there are dangerous ways to drive with a pet in your car.
Unrestrained pets, poorly trained pets and others can cause drivers to become involved in an accident. There are no clear statistics on how pets contribute to accidents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) includes accidents caused by pets into the distraction category.
Pets contribute to accidents because the driver is often forced to deal with an unexpected and pet-related situation in the vehicle. Those few seconds are often enough to cause an accident.
Pay attention to following pet driving tips to make sure that you and your pet arrive at your final destination safely.
- Purchase and use pet seatbelts
- In the event of an accident, your pet may be ejected from the car otherwise
- Purchase and use pet carriers and secure them in the car
- Feed your pets before long car trips
- Keep your pet within the vehicle including the head
- Dont leave a pet in a parked car
Animals are loved by their owners and ensuring their safety is important. Additionally, we should also work to ensure the safety of everyone else on the roads by making sure our pets are properly restrained.
Top Tips for Traveling with a Dog
Many families do not want to leave their dogs behind when they travel. Vacations should include all of the members of our family, and dogs are an important member of the family.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) provides a series of traveling tips that can keep you and your family safe.
If you are planning a trip and you intend to include your dog, you should:
- Make sure that the hotel will accept dogs
- Get a microchip for your dog so that it can be located
- Get a checkup
- Dont leave dogs alone in a car
- Dont put dogs in the bed of pickup trucks
- Get motion sickness remedies for your dog
- Ensure proper air conditioning
With proper preparation you and your dog can
Contact Greg Coleman Law
When your back is against the wall and you dont know what to do, contact an experienced law firm to address your concerns. Negligent drivers cause thousands of car accident injuries each year.
Make sure that you protect your rights by discussing your concerns with a law firm that can help you.